June 06, 2008

Rim Rock


Spent a few days in the high plains desert in Washington not too far from the Grand Coulee Dam. I find this area, although so totally different from the coastal range, incredibly beautiful. The horizon seems to be endless miles away. The skies were grey and cloudy while I was there so there wasn't a time when the light on the rocks was at the "OMG, how beautiful" stage, that I know it can be.
Again, I lost all the delicate greens and greys in the foreground. It's an ongoing frustration using my camera instead of a scanner. If I'd remember it at the time I'm painting, I could adjust for it but the painting came out pretty close to what I had in mind. I must admit, I tossed it off into the corner as a "no go" several times so it did come out a tad over worked.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sandy said...

Amazing effent, I adore your landscapes,

6:22 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

Tami, these travel sketches are just wonderful!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

What amazing scenery. I was just reading today, some artist said, when you start to 'improve' a painting, it's time to stop. I often am in a dilemma whether to paint for the scanner or for the painting - I always choose the latter- frustrating though.

4:23 AM  
Blogger Tami said...

Thank you all! Alison, glad to hear that I'm not the only one frustrated by this choice.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home