July 04, 2008

Pit River



Spent one night camping on the Pit River in Northern California. The campground was small, 8 - 10 sites and primitive, no water available but one of the most picturesque campgrounds that I've been in.
I did a 2 page spread, the page on the left is an eddy that the main river creates where it divides off and runs down in 3 small waterfalls before it joins back up with the main flow; shown on the right page. Again my river appears to tip off toward the edge of the page; it doesn't in the actual painting, it has to do with the curl of the page and the crop.

I saw a River Otter pop his head up out in the eddy while I was sitting there painting.

I am going to try to get a little more consistent with my painting and posting in the future. But we'll see how that goes. I thought with traveling, I'd have all kinds of time to paint but I'm not finding that to be the case. Some of the best views that I see to paint are going by, out the window, at 65mph! May have to start practicing painting from memory more often.

8 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Both are beautiful and how nice of that otter to welcome you. You are going to have such wonderful mempories with your paintings.

Curious minds are wondering if you camped there primitively. With scenery like that I would be tempted to for sure.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Lin said...

Tami!! Oh you sound like you're having a ball!! The pages are so beautifully done -- such a wonderful, cool green -- and the views -- just the ones to cause us to stop and savor!!! SUPER work!!!! And I so know those 55 mph views!!!! SIGH .... my memory isn't as good as it was 40 years ago!!! SIGH!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Tami said...

Yes, we camped but in our motor home so I can't really say it was all that primitively for us *LOL*

You're right, Lin, mines not either. However the practice would undoubtedly be good for staving off the forgetful mind ailments...

8:02 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Lovely landscapes, you capture the greens perfectly!

7:07 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

What a beautiful double page - it looks a great spot.

3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just the kind of setting I love! I can just imagine that little otter head breaking through the water.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Gorgeous spread and this one sent you over the top!! - check out my blog
www.myfiddlestix.blogspot.com
and pick up your Oscar - oops I mean award!! Congratilations!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Laura Frankstone said...

These are so fresh and lovely, Tami! I especially like the one with rocks and water ;D. I agree with Sandy that the greens are beautiful. I find greens in nature so hard to paint.

5:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home